Thursday 10 May 2012

Time For A Cuppa

In the studio yesterday I sat in my Grandmothers chair to stuff and sew up some lavender houses I fancied a cup of coffee sorry I am not a big tea drinker and I realized that with all the coasters I had made over time I had never made one for my studio. So you can guess what happened next, I put down what i was doing and started to draw up a design to make a coaster for my desk and here is the result.



I love the rawness of the my design and how it looks like any of my children could of written on it for me. My cup fits perfectly on it and now i can enjoy a cup of coffee while being create.

While I was making this coaster I thought you might like to give it ago so here are some step by step instructions. Hope you have loads of fun and make sure you take TIME FOR A CUPPA while you are busy being creative.

What you need
  • Scrape fabric
  • Wading
  • Scissors
  • Needle
  • Thread
  • Sewing Machine (Optional)
  • Pins 
1) Draw on a piece of card the size shape you would like your coaster to be. I choose a heart shape because I love hearts. Remember you need to draw your shape bigger than you want it to be because you are going to be sewing a back to it. You need to allow for 1/4 inch gap for stitching.

2) Cut out your shape and draw around your template on to your scrap fabric. You need to cut 2 out for front and back.


3) Now its time to decorate one of your shapes. On mine from another piece of scrap fabric I cut out a heart and placed it on top. But you could leave it plain if you would like or decorate it with another shape, flower, bird etc... (Please remember that what ever you decide to do it needs to be flat as you are placing a cup on top of it.)

4) Now you need to sew your shape on top. I used a sewing machine but you can also hand sew your shape if you prefer. 


5) You an either leave your design like that or you can add a saying . I decided to add TIME FOR A CUPPA. Joined up writing does not come natural to me so I practiced the my writing on a piece of scrap paper first. You can either hand sew your saying on to your coaster or like I did you can use free motion embroidery with your sewing machine like I did. It is completely up to you and there is no right way or wrong way.   


6) You now need to cut you wading a little bit bigger than your coaster and stack all the pieces together. Wading on the bottom, top of coaster with your design facing you and them the back of your coaster on top right side down so the wrong side of the fabric is facing you. If that makes seance, I am not very good at explaining things. Pin it all together and sew all the way around remembering to leave a inch gap on one of the sides to turn your coaster inside out. Once you have sewn it all together trim you excess wading. 

7) Turn your coaster inside out and iron it flat. Now tuck the gap together and pin. Sew all the way around your coaster close to the edge giving it a nice finish. 


Wella you have finished your lovely coaster. I would love to see your own coaster creations and I would love to share them with everyone. You can send me a picture on facebook at www.facebook.com/emusupcycledgifts ,Twitter at www.twitter.com/EmusGifts or email me at info@emusupcycledgifts.com. I am so looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks for stopping by

XX



No comments:

Post a Comment